Friday, 18 May 2012

10 Best Actors of All Time - Relay Race


Nostra at My Film Views began this relay race back in March. Now we're more than halfway through May and it's my turn at building this list. His idea:


I've created a list of what I think are the best actors. At the end I, just like in a real relay race, hand over the baton to another blogger who will write his own post. The blogger will have to remove one actor (that is an obligation) and add his own choice and describe why he/she did this. At the end the blogger chooses another blogger to do the same. We will end up with a list (not ranked in order) which represents a common agreement of the best actors. 


 I must admit that I've never faced quite so daunting a task before - it's no easy thing to say one actor is better than the other, but I'll do my best to pick someone I, and hopefully others, will find worthy. 


The previous entries were:
The Actors

Humphrey Bogart

Marlon Brando

Daniel Day-Lewis

Robert De Niro

Ralph Fiennes

Paul Newman

Jack Nicholson

Gary Oldman

Jeff Bridges

Who's out?
It's so hard to take anyone out. I like to think instead of taking them out, I'm bumping them down to the non-existant eleventh spot. We can only have ten. 

I'm not denying that Richard Burton wasn't a great actor (though I personally haven't seen as much of his work). It's a shame that most people remember him for his turbulent relationship with Elizabeth Taylor rather than his acting. 

Who's in?
Almost as hard to pick as who's out, is who's going in. I can't go past this man though:
James Stewart

I first saw Mr. Stewart act in Lubitsch's The Shop Around the Corner  and have been in love with him and his amazing talent ever since. When he was cast in that film as sales clerk Alfred Kralik, still relatively early in his career, he had started to develop a reputation for playing the romantic lead. Stewart starred in a range of films over his career including westerns, a number of Alfred Hitchcock thrillers, drama's and comedies. He had great success as the idealistic politician in Frank Capra's Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939), for which he was nominated for the Best Actor Oscar, and he was also nominated for his role as George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life (1946). In Hitchcock films such as Rope, Rear Window and Vertigo he is captivating and really showed his range - I think his performance in Vertigo is one of my favourites to date. He won the Academy Award for Best Leading Actor for The Philadelphia Story in 1941 and was given an Honorary Award in 1985 for over fifty years of memorable performances. The man truly deserves a place in this list, at least once!

Now to pass on the baton - I nominate the fabulous Nikhat at Being Norma Jean!
 

28 comments:

  1. Great choice! Stewart is just amazing. Unfortunately though I had my eye on Burton for a while now in case this did come my way. So now it will be a very difficult task to choose who to cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see who you'll pick!

      Delete
  2. Great choice on Stewart. I couldn't agree more on Vertigo. I have the poster on my wall.

    Plus, I know a few people who have vertigo. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such thing as coincidence! hahaha
      I'd love a Vertigo poster! Or any poster with James Stewart on it.....I might just print out a picture and stick it up :D

      Delete
  3. Wonderful choice! An actor of his caliber and class is sorely missed this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! Glad you agree with my choice!

      Delete
  4. Great choice! I loved Stewart in Vertigo and "It's a wonderful life".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so adorkable in It's a wonderful life :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not sad at all to see Burton out as I've never seen anything he's done, plus I LOVE James Stewart, so yay Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Yay!! Thanks muchly!

      Delete
  6. I always have to smile when someone adds a name from Hollywood's Golden Age. Nice choice with Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) He's one of the biggest names I associate with the Golden Age of Hollywood

      Delete
  7. Good choice! I loved him in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one film I haven't seen, but love him in everything I have seen him in (including Shop Around The Corner, It's A Wonderful Life, Rope, Vertigo, Rear Window....) :D

      Delete
  8. I like that all these actors are getting appreciation, even if it's only for a brief moment on the list!

    I completely agree that it's a shame people remember Richard Burton for his turbulent relationship with Elizabeth Taylor rather than his acting. My favorite performance by R Burton was The Night Of The Iguana (1964), and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
    According to imdb, Burton got nominated for 7 oscars, lost each time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, he got so close! Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf has been on my watchlist for a while now :)

      Delete
  9. Hadn't seen much of Burton, so I really don't mind that he's removed. Nice addition to the list! Seen him in so many great movies that it's great to see him included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to see a film with Stewart that I didn't like :) Let's hope he doesn't break that streak, haha

      Delete
  10. Interesting choice, I only saw him in Rear Window, but I do agree, he is one of the legends, he deserves a place there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out The Shop Around the Corner if you get the chance! I guarantee you'll fall in love with him :)

      Delete
  11. Nice choice! Somebody add Christian Bale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, speak to SDG! It's his turn next!

      Delete
  12. Awesome! I can't believe it took this long for Stewart to make an appearance. Great call!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just what I was thinking when I decided to add him in!

      Delete
  13. I can not belive Leonardo DiCaprio isn't on this list, he is just as good as all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been on and off a few times (I've lost track a bit, but I think someone has put him back on).

      Delete
  14. Your missing an absolute genius.. Where on earth is Sir Anthony Hopkins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was previously on the list, but someone before me took him off, and I preferred to add James Stewart. He might have been re-added since this post.

      Delete

Let's have some discussion...