Monday, 23 July 2012

Movie Confessions Blogathon

Nostra at My Film Views has a new blogathon, and as soon as I read it, over at Cinematic Corner and Southern Vision, I had to take part!

Which classic movie don't you like/can't enjoy and why? 
Okay, well, I did watch it while I was in high school, but seeing as I usually enjoyed the films we watched in English classes, I don't feel too bad for admitting that I never really liked A Streetcar Named Desire. I will say that Marlon Brando put in a great performance, but I was never sympathetic to the characters of Blanche or Stella. The films ending was also a major disappointment, considering how it changed from the play (I know I should judge the film in it's own right, Stella's actions in the ending of the play and her actions in the films end completely changed her character, and it felt cheesy). Maybe I'll watch it again one day and appreciate it more, even grow to like it, but I didn't find anything redeeming about any of the characters. 


Name ten classic movies you haven't seen.
1. Singin' in the Rain
2. The Godfather
3. Battleship Potemkin 
4. The Maltese Falcon
5. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
6. Cinema Paradiso
7. The Exorcist 
8. The Third Man 
9. The Great Escape
10. Ben-Hur


Have you ever snuck into another movie at the cinema? 
I was, and still am, such a goody two shoes. Never (not that I haven't thought about it though!)

Which actor/actress do you think is overrated? 
Leonardo DiCaprio. He's good, he's just not that great in my eyes. However, my favourite performance of his would have to be Inception.

Sorry Leo
From which big director have you never seen any movies, and why? 
I have never seen a Charlie Chaplin film, quite simply because before uni I wasn't watching that great a range of films, and now that I'm at uni, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. 


Which movie do you love, but is generally hated? 
Hmmmm....... I wouldn't say I adore it, but I actually really enjoy watching Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. Yes, JarJar is a tad annoying at times, but my Dad took me to see this in the theatres when it came out, it was my first Star Wars experience on the big screen, and I think it's a lot of fun. I love Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor, the pod racing is awesome and I don't find Anakin (Jake Lloyd) annoying. I thought he was alright, honestly! (Don't get me started on Episode III though!)


Have you ever been one of those annoying people at the cinema? 
Umm...maybe. Once. When I was thirteen or fourteen I went with a large group of kids to go and see Epic Movie (don't say anything, what else are fourteen year olds going to see?) I'm very certain we were loud, and chatty and stupidly annoying. I promise, it was just that one time!

Did you ever watch a movie, which you knew in advance would be bad, just because a specific actor/actress was in it? Which one and why? 
I watched Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves because I knew Alan Rickman would be in it, and I was going through a bit of a Rickman phase. Rickman good, Costner bad.

He's going to cut your heart out with a spoon.
Did you ever not watch a specific movie because it had subtitles?
Not that I recall. 

Which are the worst movies in your collection and why do you still own them?
I own a copy of The Tommyknockers, which I bought cheap because it had Craig Parker in it (I'd watch a movie just because he was in it as well, but I didn't think The Tommyknockers would be so bad). Technically, it's a tele-movie, but I mean....it was just laughable! The only reason I still own it is because I don't like to get rid of things like books or DVD's. It's just sitting on my shelf gathering dust. 

No. Just...no.
Do you have any confessions about your movie watching set up at home? 
I have a combination DVD/VCR player, and a rather old TV. I'll watch films in my room when I really want to concentrate, but the better system is in the lounge room. Nothing that shocking really...

Any other confessions you want to make? 
Actually....no. I think that pretty much covers it!




30 comments:

  1. HiHi,I like it, I might do one, too, looks fun! Alan Rickman- yeees, No love for SND?-nooo :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HiHi, I haven't chatted to you in aaaages! Confess all, Diana! :D

      Delete
  2. Di Caprio, best actor of his generation and you don't like him. That really speaks volumes for everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like him, I just think he's a tad overrated.

      Delete
  3. I understand you haven't seen The Exorcist(you really should though), But The Godfather ?? Really ?? The Godfather ?? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know! My Dad has a copy of the DVD, I'll watch it when I can!

      Delete
  4. I did the exact same thing with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was the only good thing!

      Delete
  5. Ugh. Still haven't seen The Exorcist? ;)

    I like Leo a lot more than I used to. Maybe you just need to give him more time!

    Rickman Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I do need to give Leo a bit more of a chance. I think he's a good actor, and I love a lot of his work, but...I don't know, I just can't rave about him?

      Delete
  6. Awesome confessions! I watch Robin Hood for Rickman too, and it was worth seeing but pretty much just for him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's classic in that - "Call off Christmas!"

      Delete
  7. Nice to see I'm not alone on missing some of these classics. Singin' in the Rain, Cinema Paradiso and The Great Escape are all on my must-see list.

    I haven't seen Robin Hood in ages. Curious to see if I enjoy it now as much as I did when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a copy of Cinema Paradiso, I just haven't put it on yet!

      Delete
  8. Nice list, Ruth! I think I'd agree w/ you on Leo being overrated, though I give him props for rising above all the teenybopper fame he gained from Titanic and actually tried a variety of roles. It doesn't always work but at least he gave it a shot.

    Totally agree about Alan Rickman being so awesome in Prince of Thieves! I actually mentioned that movie on my list, I should rewatch that soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda want to watch it again too now :D I love how Mel Brooks completely spoofed that film in Men in Tights.

      Delete
  9. Ruth, I'm envious that you have such an excellent group of classic movies to watch for the first time. I'd highly recommend that you check out at least City Lights and Modern Times from Chaplin when you have more time. I'm also right with you on not sneaking into another movie. I'm a goody two shoes in that regard too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone's telling me to check out The Godfather, so I might do that one this weekend! :D And I definitely want to check out the major Chaplin films at least :) Thanks Dan!

      Delete
  10. The Godfather! GAH!

    That one should be next. No exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must see The Godfather. And The Phantom Menace is a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor rocked that film!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for joining in the fun and making your confessions!

    Out of those movies you haven't seen I'd suggest to watch numbers 1 and 6 first, the other ones I have mixed feelings about.

    I do like DiCaprio and in general he always appears in great movies (although J.Edgar wasn't that good)

    I have been catching up with Chaplin movies the last two years and I'd suggest The Great Dictator and The Kid as a starting point.

    Went to the UK to actually watch Episode I (it came out earlier then in the Netherlands and attached it with a small holiday) as a friend of mine is a big Star Wars fan. I really enjoyed it at the time and was never bother by Jar Jar (I guess that's a big confession too).

    Making noise when seeing Epic movie can be forgiven, it's not like it could have made the experience worse ;)


    Rickman is such a great actor, but have not seen him in Robin Hood. Not a big fan of Costner, so that was the reason I never saw it, plus that Bryan Adams song got on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually bought Cinema Paradiso a little while ago, but haven't watched it yet - Singin' in the Rain I haven't, so I might borrow it from uni (uni's good for DVD's and such :D )
      Costner is terrible in that film! I don't blame you (no matter how awesome Rickman actually is - the script was another problem though...)

      Delete
  13. You should totally check out Chaplin films! My top favorites are City Lights, The Great Dicatator and The Kid. I'd recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I liked DiCaprio best when he was just a kid in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? I don't dislike him, but he just doesn't rock my world. And yes, Alan Rickman is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's Eating Gilbert Grape is one I haven't seen. I quite liked him in Romeo + Juliet, and Inception. Looking forward to The Great Gatsby as well :)

      Delete
  15. You should really see a Charlie Chaplin film. Not only are they hilarious and generally awesome in their own right, but so much of cinema history built on what Chaplin did. Here's my list:
    http://thegreatkh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/movie-confessions-blogathon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should :) I've seen a few Buster Keaton films, but no Chaplin. I'll be sure to check out your list!

      Delete

Let's have some discussion...