Wednesday, 1 August 2012

What went down in July...

   Final semester of my degree has begun. With any luck, in 14 or so weeks I'll have passed my final units, and officially have a Bachelor of Communications (Media). Then I have to enter the 'real world' (eep!). Having said that, I'm in that stage where I'm enjoying what I'm doing, but am way over the school aspect. It'll be nice to just be working, and saving, hopefully so I can travel at least once!

   So what does final semester entail? Creating our own short film (for which I'm the Sound Designer, if you can't already tell be this post here), organising some media industry seminars and investigating job opportunities in the media sector, a four to six thousand word research essay, and a little elective called The Modern Soundtrack, which I'm so glad I picked up just for the sheer ease of the assessment. At least it's one course where I don't have to stress too much!

   We're halfway through Live on Bowen! Like the page on Facebook, follow on Twitter or tune in if you're able to on Friday nights at 8.30 pm on Channel 31!

           

And The Melbourne International Film Festival starts this month. I'm super excited about it, and hopefully will get to see a bunch of great films - first one is this Friday, with Killer Joe. 


Now it's time for a not-so-subtle segway into what films I got to see in July (note: any films without re-watch next to them, are first time views):

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Spriggan
The Full Monty (re-watch)


The Big Sleep (1978)
Midnight in Paris
Ghost in the Shell


Source Code
Undead
The Wind Will Carry Us


Take This Waltz
Kiki's Delivery Service
Howl's Moving Castle (re-watch)
Battle Royale (re-watch)


Annie Hall
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows


Ghibli: The Miyazaki Temple
Paprika
Citizen Kane (re-watch)
Batman Begins (re-watch)
The Dark Knight (re-watch)


The Little Mermaid  (re-watch)
The Birds
Nausicaa of the Valley of the WInd (re-watch)
Earrings
Werckmeister Harmonies


The Sapphires
Playtime (re-watch)

If my count is correct, I watched 32 films last month, including the re-watches of course, but this is something of a record for me! In the two weeks before uni started I was watching a film a day at least of course (and often two or three). Re-watching Chris Nolan's first two Batman films were a must before seeing the epic finale. I re-watched both Howl's Moving Castle and Battle Royale on the same day, when my Aunt came to visit (Mum and Dad somewhat gleefully recommended we show her those films. She thinks I'm a bit crazy now, because of BR). I re-watched both Nausicaa and The Little Mermaid because those are the two films I'll be focusing on in my research essay - an examination of gender roles/female characters in a Miyazaki film and a Disney film. And of course, Alex Withrow released his short film Earrings to the world a few days ago. Alex, well done!

                  
EARRINGS: The Film from Alex Withrow on Vimeo.


Lowlights? 
The Big Sleep. It was a later version, with Robert Mitchum in the lead role, and James Stewart made an appearance too....not even Stewart could save that film. The Amazing Spider-Man was also rather underwhelming, though it has a certain enjoyment factor thanks to Garfield and Stone.



Highlights? 
Too easy - every single Ghibli film I watched, obviously. Kiki's was a first time watch, and it didn't disappoint. Satoshi Kon's Millenium Actress was just beautiful. The Dark Knight Rises was epic. And I don't have words to describe Werckmeister Harmonies just yet - I need to watch it again, but it was...astonishing, is all I can think to call it.



Review of The Sapphires to come in the next few days. Have a great August everyone!

19 comments:

  1. The dark Knigt rises was epic indeed! I didn't fall in love with Earrings but it was amazing debut, the cinematography was just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see Alex's next effort :D

      Delete
  2. I just passed on the Liebster blog award on to you. If you want to pass it on you can check it out here: http://areservationatdorsia.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/liebster-award-blog-a-thon/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D I'll go and check it out!

      Delete
  3. Mitchum was Marlowe twice I think and it was a disaster both times in my opinion. But whose idea was it to remake The Big Sleep anyway? Fools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think when I put the DVD on - all I saw was 'Mitchum' and 'Stewart' and thought "Ooh, that sounds good". I was so wrong...so, so wrong... hahaha

      Delete
  4. Oh my god can I please read your essay when it's finished? sounds like something I'd like. What did you think of 'Source Code'? I know a lot of people were underwhelmed by it, but it was my favourite sci-fi/fantasy of 2011.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can, I'd love to hear your feedback on it! It's a requirement that they be posted online anyway, and I'll definitely be linking it here :)
      I quite enjoyed Source Code. It had great energy, and a good story, though I do prefer Moon :)

      Delete
  5. Impressive month considering how busy you are. I haven't managed to average a film a day all year.

    Also nice to see you saw some Tarr. Have you got the tune figured out yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little, but I haven't really sat down to have a go at it properly. I'm not the best at playing by ear - thanks for that tip by the way :D
      I was really surprised by how many I managed. In the last two weeks of my holiday, I was watching a lot of films!

      Delete
  6. The Dark Knight Rises was an absolutely amazing watch, I HAVE to see it again! Some great picks there for the month, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends has seen it FOUR TIMES! Phew!

      Delete
  7. I'm not really into anime but I keep hearing great things about studio Ghibli. The Dark Knight Rises was fantastic.

    I have selected you for a Liebster award if you want to check that out here a link. http://northwestmovies.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-liebster-blog-award.html#more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about Ghibli is that the films transcend age, and culture :) Definitely check them out if you get the chance!

      Thanks for the award! :D

      Delete
  8. Hmm, nice roster of films.

    By the way, I tagged you for a Liebster Award. Details here:

    http://movienut14.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Anna! I better on to writing my own Liebster post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you SO MUCH for the kind words and for embedding the flick into your post. That is just too nice of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the least I could do! Are you thinking about festivals?

      Delete
    2. Ahh I dunno. Songs make it tricky. Just enjoying the brief down time right now!

      Delete

Let's have some discussion...