Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Wrapping up December - 2013 + Outlook for 2014...

   All up in 2013, I watched 194 films. That's fairly large for me, although I was honestly hoping I could do more. There were times where I simply had no energy, or didn't feel like it, or had no time, and why force yourself? You probably aren't going to enjoy a film if you don't feel like watching anything in the first place.

   If I could beat 194 films for 2014, I would be very much surprised. I'm going back to university, to get my Bachelor of Communications and Media (Honours). I'm super excited about it, and I know that my topic (when I finally get around to settling on one) will be cinema related. I also know how much pressure and stress I will be under, having witnessed friends go through the Honours program in 2013. My writing for this blog has also been dropping off, and even though I've been going fairly steady over at ReelGood, that may change as well as my workload increases. We'll see what happens - I never want to give up on this blog completely, and if the mood and inspiration takes me, of course I will write! One post a week sounds like a good starting goal at this point, but I'm not going to cause myself any undue stress and hold myself to it. 

   There's basically so much I want and need to do this year - get a firmer idea of what direction I want my career to take; get my license; get work (any casual work would be nice!); watch more movies; read more books; most importantly, I desperately want to spend more time with friends and loved ones. I want to look back on 2014 and think, 'Success!' 

   Enough of that now - here's a quick look at what I watched in December:

V/H/S/2

Shelter

Short Term 12


Philomena

Patrick (1978)

Ravenous

Dead Silence


Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Frozen


Friday the 13th (1980)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire


Poltergeist (re-watch)

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

In Bruges

Wreck-It Ralph (re-watch)

Spirited Away (re-watch)


Man of Steel

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

   I know what you're all thinking. You're wondering why I haven't seen The Desolation of Smaug yet if I'm such a big fan of the The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - I KNOW, I KNOW, AND I'M HEARTILY ASHAED OF MYSELF! I'm going to try and watch it this weekend. But, I did see some of the other major Boxing Day releases, including Short Term 12, Philomena, and Frozen, and I thoroughly enjoyed all three. Short Term 12 is probably my favourite film of this year, next to Frances Ha. 

   I also saw some fairly major films that had been missing from my list for far too long - In Bruges, Scott Pilgrim, Friday the 13th - thoroughly enjoyed all of them, but I think my favourite film (apart from ST12) that I was introduced to would be Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Gotta love some Sam Rockwell action. It was funny, thrilling, and the cast were superb. Very stylish. 

   Spirited Away has become my traditional Boxing Day fare, and I love it more and more every time. What I also loved on the second time around was Wreck-It Ralph - I only gave it a 3/5 on my first watch, and I'm shaking my head at that score now (also probably why I don't really do scores any more!) It's at least a four, and incredibly endearing. 

   Welcome to January, 2014 everyone - I hope your New Year is safe, happy, prosperous, and full of good things. 

3 comments:

  1. I was just wondering a couple of days ago, did I miss Ruth gushing about Smaug and has she really not seen it yet? In that case, $500 million or whatever it made worldwide - pointless!

    Don't worry, I haven't seen it either and mostly I am going to see it this weekend as well. Our $5 will be like that last coin from Pirates of Caribbean, making everything worth it! :D Happy New Year, Ruth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great, Ruth! I think every blogger can understand that sometimes, you need to take a little break. My own blog is on some weird sort of mini hiatus where sometimes I'll write 5 blogs a week, and other times none. It's just hard to keep it all together and be the perfect person you want to be and know you can't be ;)

    Anyway, I'm telling ya: GO SEE THE HOBBIT! It is absolutely freaking fantastic in my opinion, soooo much better than the first and just awesome in (almost) every aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list of films! I myself just recently saw Confessions for the first time. Great flick! I hope you still find time to write!

    ReplyDelete

Let's have some discussion...