Saturday, 1 February 2014

Wrapping Up January - 2014

   One month down. I'm behind on the new releases (again), but let's get right into this and go through the films I saw in January:

Pet Sematary

A Werewolf Boy



The Uninvited

The Wind Rises


The Missing


Baraka


Princess Mononoke (re-watch)

Hot Fuzz

Hellboy II: The Golden Army


Jeepers Creepers 2

The Descent




Alien 3

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Cowboys & Aliens

   From Hot Fuzz right through to Insidious: Chapter 2 was a movie marathon day. It was over forty degrees, too hot to go outside, so a whole day was spent on the couch, fans blasting, watching whatever DVDs happened to be in the house! I loved Hot Fuzz, maybe not quite as much as Shaun of the Dead, but it was still very funny. Frost and Pegg are such a classic duo. I can't wait to finish off Edgar Wright's Cornetto trilogy! 


   The Descent (cave diving adventure gone wrong) really got me with it's jump scares and general claustrophobic feeling! The Uninvited featured a great performance by Emily Browning, and I was pretty hooked by the story. Insidious 2 loses a little of its effect on re-watch, but I was still freaked out - just because I'm watching way more horror than I used to doesn't mean the genre doesn't still get to me! 

   Korean fantasy/drama A Werewolf Boy was very moving and a simple, beautiful story. I would highly recommend it. Baraka, the precursor to Samsara, was...intense, to say the least! It's an absolutely incredible documentary if you let it all just wash over you, but it takes a while to sink in. If I'm going to pick a favourite for the month of January though, then it'll have to be a tie between The Hobbit, and Hayao Miyazaki's final masterpiece, The Wind Rises. I can't wait to bring you all a review of The Wind Rises in the coming weeks at ReelGood. 


   Tomorrow, I'm off to see Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Rebellion - the final film to wrap up one of my favourite series! See you all soon! 

2 comments:

Let's have some discussion...